Job Title Functional Skills Tutor
Base Birmingham, Liverpool, London, Leeds
Salary Competitive rate
NA College is developing a national Functional Skills programme to support young people aged 16-18 into matched apprenticeship opportunities.
We would like to hear from experienced Functional Skills tutors who may be interested in going onto our bank of associates.
You should have a strong commitment to high standards of classroom practice and experience of teaching or working with young people. You will have a genuine regard for young people and want to work with us to ensure that all our students aspire to do well.
You will be teacher trained (CertEd, PGCE, DTLLS or equivalent with a subject specialisation in Literacy and/or Numeracy and or ICT ) and able to teach Functional Skills up to Level 2.
If you have skills and experience in Functional Skills then please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV.
- To plan, deliver and evaluate Maths, English and ICT as part of the Functional Skills element of the framework by:
- Producing schemes of work and lesson plans
- Identifying and developing resources
- Supporting learners and recording progress
- Evaluating course satisfaction returns
- To deliver Functional Skills in both classroom and work base environments.
- To organise (and where necessary, source) Functional Skills resources.
- To contribute to ensuring that Functional Skills are offered through a range of delivery modes to meet the needs of learners (e.g. group-based, blended learning) and tests are available in paper-based (if required by the learner) and on-line versions.
- To ensure that the recording of Functional Skills testing is undertaken accurately and monitor achievement across subjects, levels and programmes.
- To devise individual learning plans by taking into consideration various learning styles and individual learner needs.
- To complete registers and learner records fully and according to requirements.
- To provide monthly updates on Functional Skills achievements and highlight any issues that would prevent achievement, and ensure that success targets are achieved.
- To work flexibly in hours of work and over a number of employer sites to facilitate learner engagement and achievement.
- To evaluate and develop own practice.
- To be willing to undertake training and development activities that would support the development of the role.
- To be willing to explore innovative ideas and approaches to delivery and assessment through new technology such as iPads, Apps, Social Media.
- To undertake all other duties that falls within the scope of the post.
|Proven, high quality skills in teaching||E|
|Significant experience teaching and assessing Functional Skills||E|
|Experience in teaching GCSE||D|
|Awareness of needs of learners of all ages who have underachieved in the education system, especially in Maths and English||E|
|Empathy with adults who have low levels of confidence relating to learning and personal achievement||E|
|Competent to teach ICT||D|
|Experience of team working in the delivery of provision||D|
|Proven robust classroom management skills||E|
|Teacher trained (CertEd, PGCE, DTLLS or equivalent with a subject specialisation in Literacy and/or Numeracy and or ICT )||E|
|Excellent standard in English and Maths||E|
|Ability to motivate and build confidence in learners of all ages||E|
|Ability to support learners towards high levels of achievement||E|
|Can liaise professionally with a wide range of staff and external agencies||E|
|PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER REQUIREMENTS|
|Excellent organisational and time management skills||E|
|High level of commitment to widening participation in learning||E|
|Creative/innovative approach to work||E|
|Patient, honest and reliable||E|
|A flexible approach to work, resilient and willing to accept change.||E|
|Have access to own transport and able to travel to various sites in the region (some national travel may be required)||E|
|Able to obtain a satisfactory DBS clearance||E|